Friday, January 4, 2008

Cultural Demise and Other Parking Lot Stories

Pearls of the Parking Lots, Throughout the West (aka, amazing bumper stickers and license plates to take home with you as warm bed companions):

1) On the plates of a big, sexy H3 (A Hummer to you road-ignorant plebes):

  • GLOBLWRMR

Awesomely hot. Enthusiastic obnoxiousness is so rare a trait these days. Props to my sister for catching this gem on digital memory technology, anthologized forever in our horrified memories.

2) On the wily rear-end of a rust crusted white truck in Why-oming (this is an old fave):

  • "Hetero is Bettero"

But apparently clever is not so chic these days.

3) Flanking the black bumper of a school bus yellow FJ in the lot of my new job:

  • Left side, in garish red letters on marigold background: "Other than ending Nazism, Fascism and Communism, WAR has never solved anything."

But apparently reductive arguments HAVE. Consider me charmed. (Note: is Communism actually over? Was there a major belief system shift in some parts of Asia that has eluded me? Huh.)

  • Right side sticker and faithful companion (though certainly the better-looking, more popular one of the twins): "Happiness is a belt-fed weapon."

The Beatles would be proud. As for me? I must excuse myself to the ladies to recover from my swoon.

Ta-Ta for now!

3 comments:

Tom Drew said...

GLOBLWRMR? Do Hummers actually get larger plates, and thus more characters, so as to keep all parts of the vehicle in proportion? I'm flummoxed.

Kinda makes me long for the days when every vehicle had a little American flag and a sticker that said "These Colors Don't Run." I never thought I'd be nostalgic for 2002, but there ya go.

Helen E said...

What? An Eva blog? Where have I been? I still like "Hetero is Bettero" myself.

Ermasmit said...

I laughed out loud, people stared.