Thursday, January 17, 2008

Old Balls

Situation:

Got asked out on a date (lunch, dinner OR drinks, apparently all are options from Man 2) for this evening.

I am not available this evening as I am already going on a date with Man 1, who for the informed public, does not pay for me. Ever. This will be date 5 and I have basically given up hope that I will get even a single beer, glass of wine, or hot wing purchased for me.

While I am not old-fashioned, and especially support going Dutch or alternating payees when you are IN a relationship, I do feel like it is a gesture of how much you value the time/effort/lovin' I am giving said date if they pay for it. It seems odd to ask a girl out and then expect her to pay for it. Up to me, I would save the $25 each week to go out drinking on the weekend and find me a man who PAYS! Damn.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand. Man 2 will certainly pay, a major plus. My reservations? He is kinda Magoo and, get this, I believe he is 38. I like older men but, dang, 14 years older? I dunno. Plus, the invite came via email (we had already been communicating in this mode) and I don't know how I feel about that. He does have my number. But it was a really funny email (he apparently is very clever, well-read, and articulate, and double-majored in English and Journalism when he was in college in 1910, so he ALSO writes, oh the conflict!) Decisions are the worst.

So, put to you, those who know and love me (as all people who know me do because knowing and loving clearly go hand in hand with people as fabulous as us), this query:

Yea or Nay?

2 comments:

adc said...

agreed on your point regarding fiscal responsibilities of the courting stage. jury out on old balls. once an old, painfully perfect (marine, sailor, pilot, rich, gentlemanly, funny, smart, well-read, etc) but chinless 34 year old had a crush on me but ultimately i had to pass b/c i couldn't imagine myself being naked with him. can you imagine yourself naked old man river? then i think you have an answer.

Blogger said...

I think you should opt out of both. It looks like you aren't seeing anything in either of these two. I'd stick it out and just wait for someone who fits your standards...

Someone closer to your age and pays when they ask you out...believe me they exist. Or I've heard rumor that they do, I'm yet to find this.